- Information That You Provide To Us
- Information Collected Using Technology
- Information You Provide From Social Networking Sites
- Other Third Parties
- Provide And Manage The Services You Request.
- To Contact You.
- To Better Understand Our Readers And Users.
- Customize Your Experience.
- Relevant Advertising.
- Audience Measurement Providers.
- To Protect The Rights Of The Services And Others.
- Service Providers.
- Business Partners.
- Law Enforcement.
- Social Networking Sites (SNS)
- Third Parties.
- Otherwise With Your Consent Or At Your Direction.
II. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT THROUGH OUR SERVICES ?
- Information That You Provide To Us.
- We will collect personal data that you voluntarily provide us when you register for the Services or interact with other users of the Services. We may collect personal data when you sign up for marketing or editorial emails; download white papers, e-books, or webcasts; or sign up for events or other opportunities through Sightline. Personal data may include your first and last name, location, phone number, gender, title, email and mailing address and demographic information. We may also ask for information about your hobbies, interests, preferences and the like, but you're free to register for our Services without providing this additional information.
- Billing and transactional information pursuant to your use of the Services, where appropriate to process a financial transaction you request.
- If you provide us feedback or contact us via e-mail, we will collect your name and email address, as well as any other content included in the email, in order to send you a reply.
- When you post content (such as text, images, messages or comments) in connection with your use of the Services, the information contained in your posting will be stored on our servers and other users will be able to see it.
- When you participate in one of surveys, we may collect additional profile information.
- We may also collect contact information regarding other individuals when you use the sharing and referral tools available within some of our Services to forward content or offers to your friends and associates. We use this information to facilitate the communications that you request. We rely on you to obtain whatever consents from the third party that may be required by law to allow us to facilitate the communications that you request. You or the third party may contact us at email@example.com to request the removal of this information from our database.
- Information Collected Using Technology.
- Information Collected By Our Servers. To make our Services more useful to you, our servers (which may be hosted by a third-party service provider) collect information from you, including your browser type, operating system, internet protocol (IP) address, domain name, and/or a date/time stamp for your visit.
- Flash LSOs. When we post videos, third parties may use local shared objects, knows as Flash Cookies to store your preferences for volume control or to personalize certain video features. Flash Cookies are different from browser Cookies because of the amount and type of data and how the data is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash Cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash Cookies, click here.
- Advertising On Third-Party Websites and Ad Networks. We partner with third parties to manage our advertising on the Services and third-party websites, which may include serving or tracking advertisements on or relating to the Services. We may use the following data, whether separately or combined:
- Data from advertising technologies on and off our Services, like web beacons, pixels, ad tags, cookies, and device identifiers.
- Subscriber or visitor-provided information.
- Data from your use of the Services (g. hashed data, click stream information, browser type, geographic location, time and date, information about your interactions with advertisements and other content).
- Information from advertising partners. Our advertising partners may place or recognize cookies, web beacons or other technology to track certain activities about our website users. For example, in the course of serving certain advertisements, an advertiser may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser in order to collect certain information about your use of the Services. An advertiser or ad server may also be able to collect your device’s identifier in the course of serving an ad. In many cases, this information could be used to show you ads on other websites based on your interests.
- Information inferred from the data described above. If you do not want this information used by third parties for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here (or if you are located in the European Union, click here or if you are in Canada, click here). Following these processes will opt you out of receiving ads that are targeted to you. You may, however, continue to receive generic ads that are targeted to the general public.
- Location Information .Some of our mobile applications may deliver content based on your current location if you choose to enable that feature of the app. We will ask you to opt-in before we use GPS or other tools to identify your precise location. If you enable the location-based feature, your current location will be stored locally on your device, which will then be used by the app. If you elect to have a location-based search saved to your history, we will store that information on our servers. If you do not enable the location-based service, or if an app does not have that feature, the app will not transmit to us, and we will not collect or store location information.
- Other Third Parties
- We may receive personal and/or anonymous data about you from companies that offer their products and/or services through our Services and/or companies that otherwise collect such information. These third-party companies may supply us with personal data. We may add this information to the information we have already collected from you via the Services in order to improve Services we provide to you.
III. WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT?
How we use your personal data depends upon which Services you use, how you use those Services and the choices you make. We use the data that we have about you to provide and personalize the Services, so that they can be more relevant and useful to you and others, including as follows:
Provide And Manage The Services You Request.
We use the information we gather about you to enable your use of the Services and fulfill your requests for certain products and services, such as: sending out newsletters; enabling you to participate in online forums or communities; allowing you to download e-books, webcasts, and whitepapers; and enabling you to participate in polls, contests, sweepstakes and other events.
Our Services allow you to stay informed about news and events. We may use the data that we have about you to recommend relevant content on our Services. We may also use the data (which can include your communications) to investigate, respond to and resolve complaints and Service issues.
To Contact You.
We may periodically contact you with offers and information about the Services and our affiliates, including in connection with your accounts, online surveys, legal notices, news stories, new features that you are entitled to access, and other important information.
To Better Understand Our Readers And Users.
We perform statistical, demographic and marketing analyses of users of the Services, to better understand and serve our users, and to improve our products, services and customer relationships.
Customize Your Experience.
We use the information that we collect to allow advertising to be targeted to the users for whom such advertising is most germane. We also use this information to customize certain features of the Services, such as providing you with an enhanced experienced based on the type of device you are using to access the Services.
We serve you tailored ads both on and off our Services. We may use demographic and preference information to facilitate the delivery of targeted ads, promotions and offers. This means users see advertising that is most likely to interest them, and advertisers send their messages to people who are most likely to be receptive, improving both the viewer's experience and the effectiveness of the ads. We offer you choices regarding personalized ads but you cannot opt-out of seeing other ads.
We may transmit website usage information about your use of the Services to third parties in order to show you advertising when you visit other sites. For more information about our third-party ad server, and to learn about your choices about targeted advertising, please click here.
We adhere to self-regulatory principles for interest-based advertising and participate in industry opt-outs from such ads. This does not opt you out of receiving all advertising; you will continue to get other ads by advertisers not listed with these self-regulatory tools.
Your access to our websites should not be affected if you do not accept cookies served by third parties.
Audience Measurement Providers.
From time to time, we may offer contests, sweepstakes or other promotions that are sponsored or co-sponsored by or presented with identified third parties. If you choose to participate in such activities, we will collect contact information such as your name, address, and email address and we may share this information with co-sponsors or other identified third parties. Sightline has no control over the third parties’ use of this information.
To Protect The Rights Of The Services And Others.
We may use your personal information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety or property of the Services, its employees or agents, or other users and to comply with applicable law.
We may otherwise use your information with your consent or at your direction.
IV. HOW DO WE DISCLOSE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT?
If you have registered to use the Services, we may disclose your personally identifiable information to Sightline affiliates for internal management and administrative purposes on our behalf.
In the future, we may sell, buy, merge, or partner with other companies or businesses. In such transactions, we may include your information among the transferred assets.
We contract with other companies to provide products, services or functions on our behalf, including credit card and billing processing, ad serving, email distribution, analytics or promotions management. We provide these companies only with the information they need to perform their services. These service providers agree to maintain the confidentiality of your personally identifiable information and not to use your personally identifiable information for any reason except to carry out the purpose(s) for which we hired them. These service providers are restricted from using personal information in any way other than to provide services for Sightline, and they may not share, resell or use the data for their own direct marketing purposes.
We may share your personal data with our channel partners to fulfill obligations and requests in connection with the Services, and/or conduct contests or sweepstakes. The privacy policies of such third parties apply to their use and disclosure of your information that we collect and disclose to such third-party companies.
We will disclose information we maintain when required to do so by law, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena. We also may disclose such information in response to a law enforcement agency's request.
Social Networking Sites (SNS)
If you are a print subscriber, we may exchange or rent your name and mailing address (but not your email address) and certain other information, such as when you first subscribed to Sightline publications with other reputable companies that offer marketing information or products through direct mail. If you prefer that we do not share this information, you may opt-out by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to us at Opt-Out Postal, 1919 Gallows Road, Suite 400, Vienna, VA 22182. Please include your account number and phone number in the body of your email or letter and include “Opt-Out” in the subject line.
We may also share information with third parties about our users in aggregate, de-identified form.
Otherwise With Your Consent Or At Your Direction.
V. THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES
VI. YOUR CHOICES REGARDING INFORMATION
To remove your name and postal address from lists that we sell or rent to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, or to opt-out of receiving marketing offers by mail, please email us at email@example.com, or write to us at Opt-Out Postal, Sightline Media Group, 1919 Gallows Road, Suite 400, Vienna, VA 22182. Please note that if you choose to opt-out of Sightline’s promotional mailings, you may still receive renewal notices and related offers for any magazines to which you subscribe.
If you prefer not to receive e-mail marketing from Sightline Media Group or any of its affiliates, please follow the “unsubscribe” instructions near the bottom of each email or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you no longer wish to receive a specific newsletter, follow the “unsubscribe” instructions located near the bottom of each newsletter. If you feel you have received an email or newsletter from us in error, please contact email@example.com.
If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to accept Cookies from our site or Services for any of the purposes described above, then you can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to stop accepting Cookies or to prompt you before accepting a Cookie from the websites you visit. Consult your browser’s technical information. If you do not accept Cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the Services or all functionality of the Services.
Changing or Deleting Your Personal Data.
You may change any of your personal data in your account by editing your profile within your account. You may request deletion of your personal data by us and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request.
VII. ADDITIONAL RIGHTS FOR EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA USERS
If you live in the European Economic Area, or a similar international area, you may have additional privacy rights available to you under applicable laws. We will obtain consents and process your requests in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
If you would like to exercise any of the below rights, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may consider your request in accordance with applicable law:
- Change or Correct Data : You can edit some of your personal data through your account. You can also ask us to change, update or fix your data in certain cases, particularly if it is inaccurate.
- Object to, or Limit or Restrict, Use of Data : You can ask us to stop using all or some of your personal data (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or to limit our use of it (e.g., if your personal data is inaccurate or unlawfully held).
- Request Erasure : You can ask us to erase your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to use of data, where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Right to Access, Transfer and/or Take Your Data : You can ask us for a copy of your personal data, including in a machine-readable format or transfer of your personal data to a third party.
- Withdraw Consent at any Time : Where we are relying on consent to process your personal data, you may withdraw your consent at any time. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
We will respond to inquiries regarding correction or deletion of data within a reasonable time frame in accordance with applicable laws. To protect your privacy, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
If you are located in the European Union and wish to raise a concern about our use of your information, please contact the Data Protection Officer at email@example.com. You also have the right to do so with your local supervisory authority or where any alleged infringement of data protection laws occurred. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the data protection authority so please contact us in the first instance.
Sightline has a lawful basis to collect, use, and share data about you. Our lawful bases for the collection and processing of personal data include consent (where you have given consent), contract (where processing is necessary for the performance of a contract with you (e.g. to deliver the Services you have requested) and for the purpose of advancing legitimate interests in engaging in commerce, offering products and services of value to the users of the Services, preventing fraud, ensuring information and network security and complying with industry standards and practices.
Where we rely on your consent to process personal data, you have the right to withdraw or decline your consent at any time, and where we rely on legitimate interests, you have the right to object. If you have any questions regarding the lawful bases upon which we collect and use your personal data, please contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VIII. YOUR CANADIAN PRIVACY RIGHTS
Canadian Residents may have additional rights under Canadian law. Please see the information provided by the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada for additional details.
IX. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Under the California “Shine The Light” law, California residents may opt-out of Sightline’s disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. As detailed above, you may choose to opt-out of the sharing of your personal information with third parties for marketing purposes at any time by emailing us at email@example.com, or submitting a request to Opt-Out Postal, Sightline Media Group, 1919 Gallows Road, Suite 400, Vienna, VA 22182. It is important to note that this opt-out does not prohibit disclosures made for non-marketing purposes.
X. KIDS AND PARENTS
The Services are not intended for use by children, especially those under thirteen. Sightline will not knowingly allow anyone under the age of thirteen to register for any of our Services or provide any personally identifying information. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personally identifiable information from a user under the age of 13 as part of the Services, we will delete such information from our records.
XI. SECURITY, RETENTION, AND STORAGE OF INFORMATION
Sightline is committed to protecting the security of your personal data. We use a variety of industry-standard security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal data. No system can be completely secure, however. We cannot guarantee the security of our database, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
We will retain your personal information while you have an account with us and thereafter for as long as we need it for purposes not prohibited by applicable laws.
XII. INTERNATIONAL TRANFERS
Sightline is headquartered in the United States. Please be aware that if information you provide to us or that we obtain as a result of your use of the Services may be collected in your country and subsequently transferred to the United States or to another country in accordance with applicable law.
Sightline (as Data Controller and Data Exporter) has, where local data protection regulations so require, put in place security measures for the export of personal data from its jurisdiction. For instance, where required, Sightline takes steps to ensure that your personal data is processed only in accordance with EU Data Protection laws. If you wish to learn more about international transfers of your personal data, you may contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
XIV. HOW TO CONTACT US
Sightline Media Group
1919 Gallows Road, Ste. 400
Vienna, Virginia 22182
This website may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.