navigation-background arrow-down-circle Reply Icon Show More Heart Delete Icon wiki-circle wiki-square wiki arrow-up-circle add-circle add-square add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up calendar-circle chat-bubble-2 chat-bubble check-circle check close contact-us credit-card drag menu email embed facebook-circle snapchat-circle facebook-square facebook faq-circle faq film gear google-circle google-square googleplus history home instagram-circle instagram-square instagram linkedin-circle linkedin-square linkedin load monitor Video Player Play Icon person pinterest-circle pinterest-square pinterest play readlist remove-circle remove-square remove search share share2 sign-out star trailer trash twitter-circle twitter-square twitter youtube-circle youtube-square youtube

TAI Plans $212M Investment To Modernize Factory

February 28, 2016 (Photo Credit: TAI)

ANKARA, Turkey — Tusas Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) is planning a large investment to renew and modernize its plant near Ankara to catch up with its growth plans for the next decade, company sources said.

The sources said that the company would make a fixed investment of 384 million Turkish liras (approximately $130 million). In addition, it will buy $82 million worth of machinery and equipment from foreign suppliers.

TAI hopes its business will grow 10-fold to $6 billion annually in the next 10 years and plans to employ a workforce of 10,000 people. By 2040, it hopes to reach an annual business worth $10 billion with 12,500 employees.

TAI employs 4,500 personnel. Of that number, 1,800 are engineers. In 2005, its turnover was a mere $90 million.

TAI earns approximately 60 percent of its annual income from aerostructures.

The Turkish Armed Forces Foundation owns 55 percent of TAI, while Turkey’s defense procurement agency, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM) owns the remaining 45 percent.

Last year, TAI invested $50 million in a production unit where it manufactures the center fuselage for the F-35 under the multinational joint strike fighter (JSF) program.

TAI also produces body parts for the Airbus family of civilian aircraft — it is the sole-source barrel producer of Airbus’ A320 and A321 aircraft and a design partner and sole-source aileron producer for Airbus’ most advanced aircraft, the A350.

It also produces body parts for Boeing’s 737, 747, 767 and 777 series, including parts for the elevator, cargo barrier and body seal for the B787 (a total of 400,000 sub-assembly parts every year go to Boeing); the center fuselage for the Italian British AgustaWestland’s AW139 helicopters; and parts for the Bombardier C series aircraft. TAI is 5.56 percent partner in the multinational A400M program and produces parts for the future large transport aircraft.

Company sources said the new investment plan is expected to bolster the company’s mostly indigenous programs, including drones, a basic trainer, a future fighter jet, a regional jet with a dual civilian-military mission and attack, utility and light helicopters. 


Next Article