Advertisement

You will be redirected to the page you want to view in  seconds.

North Korea Reports Warship Sank; Number of Dead Unknown

Nov. 4, 2013 - 08:12PM   |  
By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE   |   Comments
This undated picture released Nov. 2 by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, front right, visiting the cemetery of fallen sailors of the KPA Navy Unit 790 at an undisclosed location in North Korea. A number of North Korean sailors were killed when a warship sank during 'combat duties' last month, a state newspaper reported in an unusual admission by the secretive state.
This undated picture released Nov. 2 by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, front right, visiting the cemetery of fallen sailors of the KPA Navy Unit 790 at an undisclosed location in North Korea. A number of North Korean sailors were killed when a warship sank during 'combat duties' last month, a state newspaper reported in an unusual admission by the secretive state. (KNS / AFP)
  • Filed Under

SEOUL — A number of North Korean sailors were killed when a warship sank during “combat duties” last month, a state newspaper has reported in an unusual admission by the secretive state.

The North’s ruling party newspaper Rodong Sinmun gave no figures for the number of dead. But photographs of gravestones in Saturday’s website edition suggested about 15-20 may have died.

The paper showed solemn-faced leader Kim Jong-Un laying flowers at a cemetery specially created for victims of the incident, who “met heroic deaths while performing their combat duties”.

The report gave no details of how the sailors on a ship identified as “submarine chaser no. 233” had died. It did not say where the cemetery was located.

After hearing of the incident, Kim ordered a search to retrieve all the bodies and gave detailed instructions on construction of the cemetery and gravestones, the paper said.

South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo newspaper said Monday that two North Korean warships sank last month during an exercise off the eastern port of Wonsan, killing scores of sailors.

Quoting a military source, it said the ships were a Hainan-class 375-ton submarine chaser and a 100 to 200-ton patrol boat.

“The Hainan-class submarine chaser probably sank because it’s old. It was built in China in the 1960s and the North bought it in the mid-70s,” the source was quoted as saying.

North and South Korea have remained technically at war since the Korean conflict ended in an armistice in 1953.

While the North’s military totals more than one million personnel, much of its equipment is aging.

Seoul accused Pyongyang of sending a submarine to sink a South Korean warship in March 2010 with the loss of 46 lives.

More In World News

Start your day with a roundup of top defense news.

Subscribe!

Subscribe!

Login to This Week's Digital Edition

Subscribe for Print or Digital delivery today!

Exclusive Events Coverage

In-depth news and multimedia coverage of industry trade shows and conferences.

TRADE SHOWS:

CONFERENCES:

Defensenews TV

  • Sign-up to receive weekly email updates about Vago's guests and the topics they will discuss.