Lockheed Martin had previously said it would be furloughing 3,000 workers, but lowered the number after the Pentagon ordered the majority of DoD civilians back to work over the weekend. (Kevin Moloney/Getty Images)
WASHINGTON — Lockheed Martin began furloughing 2,400 employees who work in US government facilities that are closed due to the ongoing government shutdown, the company said Monday.
The Maryland-based company has received a “stop-work order” for employees working in these government facilities, Lockheed spokesman Gordon Johndroe said in an email.
“Of the 2,400 employees, approximately 2,100 work on civilian agency programs and 300 work on DOD programs,” he said. “The affected employees are located in 27 states, with the majority based in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.”
Last week, Lockheed said it would furlough 3,000 employees beginning Monday, due to the shutdown. Over the weekend, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said starting today he would recall most of the 350,000 government civilians furloughed since the shutdown began Oct. 1.
That number of Lockheed employees being furloughed was reduced because government workers who perform inspections on contractor-run production lines are expected to return to work this week.
At BAE Systems, about 1,000 employees with the company’s intelligence and security division have been “excused for work,” Linda Hudson, the company’s president and said CEO, wrote Sunday on the BAE Systems website.
“[M]any other facilities across our business have begun to experience shutdown-related disruptions to workflow, some minor and others less so,” she wrote.