The White House is expected to release the sequester report today. (Karen Bleier/Agence France-Presse)
The White House is poised on Sept. 14 to send lawmakers a set of projections spelling out the impact of Pentagon and other federal spending cuts set to take effect in January — but it will not contain program-specific funding levels, a source said.
The report, required in legislation passed by Congress earlier this year and signed by President Barack Obama, will contain projections for 1,200 accounts across the federal government, the source said, citing conversations with senior government officials.
The report will feature estimates for broad accounts, such as Air Force aircraft procurement or Army vehicle procurement. But it will not feature projections for specific programs such as the F-35 joint strike fighter or littoral combat ship, the source said.
“That is consistent with what we’re hearing,” confirmed one senior congressional aide.
The White House Office of Management and Budget and the Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The White House’s report comes as the possibility of $500 billion in cuts to national defense spending looms. Those cuts would take effect Jan. 2 unless lawmakers pass legislation that reduces the federal deficit by $1.2 trillion, or otherwise voids the defense cuts.
Sources say the White House will release the report at 2:30 p.m. Sept. 14.