You will be redirected to the page you want to view in  seconds.

Thales, BEL To Develop High-Tech Radars

Aug. 29, 2012 - 11:02AM   |  
By Vivek Raghuvanshi   |   Comments
  • Filed Under

NEW DELHI — India’s state-owned Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL) has joined with Thales of France to make high-tech radars for military and civilian use.

“Following the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding on November 17, 2009, Public Sector Company, Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) and Thales are delighted to announce that the Boards of both companies have approved the formation of a Joint Venture Company (JVC) subject to statutory approvals of the Government of India and the French Government,” said the Aug. 29 Thales release.

The joint venture will design, develop and market the radars. BEL would hold a 74 percent equity stake in the joint venture, putting in around $10 million, while Thales would take the remaining 26 percent.

A BEL official said the radars would be the first to be produced in India, but declined to give details.

In addition to defense, there is demand for coastal radars for the Indian Coast Guard as India plans to install high-tech surveillance gear along its borders.

The joint venture might also manufacture equipment for use by France’s Dassault, in case that company’s Rafale fighter is finally selected in India’s $12 billion Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft program.

More In World News

Start your day with a roundup of top defense news.

More Headlines from Asia



Login to This Week's Digital Edition

Subscribe for Print or Digital delivery today!

Exclusive Events Coverage

In-depth news and multimedia coverage of industry trade shows and conferences.



Defensenews TV

  • Sign-up to receive weekly email updates about Vago's guests and the topics they will discuss.